Saturday, February 13, 2010

Comfort zones - where do you go?

I know I said I was going to post new blogs Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. As you can see today is Saturday.
Speaking of comfort zones, that's why I didn't post yesterday.
I got knocked off my feet with the flu yesterday. Little headache when I got up, but as the morning progressed I felt worse and worse until I had to retreat. I was in bed all afternoon and I finally pulled myself out to the couch with my dog and my blankie about 7ish to watch part of the 2010 Winter Olympics Opening Ceremonies. You can see I didn't make it downstairs to my computer until now, which is Saturday afternoon.
Laying in bed feeling like I had been hit by a truck, then backed over for good measure, I thought of my current topic of comfort zones.
Of course when I felt sick I went home and straight to bed. I don't know about anyone else, but I find that kids, even young adult or near-adult kids, have a really hard time seeing Mom sick. Since Mom is always the care-giver, kids seldom know what to do when they are the ones who need to give the care back, so fortunately for me I don't get sick often.
But when I'm down, I have to say my kids are pretty good. They always make sure I have a glass of juice nearby, whether I want it or not, and most important, when I am down for the count, they have learned to make their own supper. Of course, now that they have jobs, making supper means making a trip to the nearest pizza-take-out. But they looked out for themselves, and even me too, even though I didn't want any pizza.
So here is today's question/thought of the day.
When you're down for the count, were is your comfort zone? Your bed? The couch? On the way home I heard a commercial on the radio - the bottom line was that a person's car is their only true personal space, and that is certainly true in the perspective of the only time many of us get to be truly alone. I'm seldom home alone. Even if I am, my dogs are there with me. That makes a car a comfort zone, too. And here's a question for all the other moms out there. When you're down and your family looks after you, are you a good patient, even though they don't do it the way you would?

3 comments:

  1. I am home alone most of the time these days, though now I have a puppy. For a while I wasn't sure that was any better! Puppies are work. But I digress. I have not been down and out sick since the young 'uns are gone, so not sure what would happen. I'll let ya know - though hopefully not any time soon. I don't think I am a bad patient, but you'd really have to ask the caregivers. Give me a hook, some yarn, and a DVD to watch and I'm good for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you're feeling better now, Gail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I'm down for the count, you will find me in bed watching an I Love Lucy DVD. I have the entire collection so I can watch them back-to-back. I also have a fave blankey. ;) Hey, I'm honest. As for being a good patient...I’m a whiner. I admit it. ;)

    ReplyDelete